Review: Snowpiercer

Nice.

In the future, an attempt to slow down global warming goes horribly wrong, leaving the world frozen. The only people who survived are on board a train run by the mysterious Wilfred that travels the globe. The rich enjoy comforts while the poor live in poverty. We meet Curtis (Chris Evans) who wants to change all that. He and his fellow passengers, Gilliam, (John Hurt) Edgar, (Jaime Bell) Tanya, (Octavia Spencer) etc stage a plan to move to the front of the train, but first they need to free a prisoner, Minsoo (Kang-ho Song) who is the only one that can open all the doors.

This film has beautiful imagery and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. As they move through each train car, another secret is revealed, and it's all fascinating. Evans gives his best performance here, and the cast as a whole is great. (I loved seeing Song again, who was so wonderful in Thirst

If anything, I actually wish the film had been a little longer just to elaborate on a few things. Minsoo's daughter, Yona is a clairvoyant, yet we don't know if that's something relatively known to the general population or not. There's a late reveal with Edgar's character too that reminded me of one of my major pet peeves in film, but I won't complain because Bell is such a joy to watch. I also wondered how the lower class people acquired their tickets in the first place, especially after they make mention of being "herded on."  

Snowpiercer is easily one of the best films I've seen this year, and it's one I hope isn't entirely ignored around Oscar season. (These July release dates are killers)

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "Anything in the whole wide train." - Curtis (Chris Evans)

Comments

  1. Oh wow, I've never heard of Snowpiercer before but it's definitely on my 'to watch' list now. Great review!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it okay to say that I hate you for already seeing this?

    But thanks for a spoiler-free post, as always. Damn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get VOD, it's currently playing on that. And You're welcome, I think going into this film spoiler free is important. I didn't see a lot of things coming.

      Delete
    2. Oh, really? I never check that shit out. Well, I did...once. And that was when I rented Nymphomaniac vol. I. Hence my reluctance to check again. I assume all movies in the VOD section are filled with awful wieners.

      Delete
    3. I rented AntiChrist on VOD so I feel your pain.

      Delete
  3. Oh, glad to hear more good things! I should be seeing this soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the best films I had seen this year and certainly the perfect alternative to the mindless and often empty films of Michael Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a shame this isn't showing in my city (or pretty much anywhere in Australia). I'll have to find another way, as it's getting such awesome reviews. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Limited releases can be so frustrating. I hope it gets near you soon!

      Delete
  6. OH, this sounds so interesting! I knew this was going to be good, but had no idea about the plot. Can't wait to see it! Great review, Brittani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't know much about the plot either until I went to see it.

      Delete
  7. Great review, so glad you liked this one! I had a lot of fun with it too, but I definitely wondered how in the hell the lower class even got on the damn train as well. I mean... if they were to be so hated, why not just fill the train with middle and upper class people? But either way, a damn enjoyable film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the graphic novel addressed this? I'm going to have to do some research.

      Delete
  8. Harvey really fucked this one didn't he?
    Snowpiercer was fantastic and one heck of a ride.
    My favourite part was Alison Pill's scene haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, Pill was perfect. I knew she was playing a teacher, but I had no idea how funny that was going to be. "We'll all freeze and die!" *DBZ pose* lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum