2014 Blind Spot Series: Wild Strawberries


What I knew going in: Not much, only that when I asked for recommended Bergman films, this one came up frequently. 

Igmar Bergman was the director I had in mind when I started my Blind Spot list. His films occupied 3 spots in my 2014 list, and 2 more in my preliminary 2015 one. This one was almost always recommended.

Dr. Isak Borg (Victor Sjostrom) is a professor that's been isolated from nearly everyone for many years. He's on his way to a University to pick up an honorary award and decides last minute he's going to drive there. Along the way with his daughter in law, Marianne (Ingrid Thulin) and eventually a few other passengers (including Bergman favorite Bibi Andersson) he reminiscences about his life and comes to the realization that maybe he's been a little too distant.

I kind of felt like this movie was a few beats away from being a road trip comedy. At least Bergman road trip comedy. Parts were amusing, other parts very ethereal. I think the pacing kind of dulls the movie a bit in places, but the story was fascinating and Sjostrom was wonderful. I can see why this is a Bergman favorite. I definitely preferred Persona to this one, but this was still a good watch.

Grade: B-

Memorable Quote: "I have liked having you in that house." - Isak Borg (Victor Sjostrom)

Comments

  1. This is among my five favorite films by Bergman. Persona/Cries & Whispers is sharing the top spot. I recently finished his Faith trilogy of the early 60s and I still have a long way to go. I went through most of his classic work. Now I want to go for everything he's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I don't have either of those two in my list, I'll have to add them.

      Delete
  2. Like I said on Twitter, I'm with you here. I like this movie, but it is lacking in areas and just doesn't connect like his other films. I love Bergman though, like REALLY love him, so I'd explore more if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely am, I've got a lot of Bergman in my Netflix queue.

      Delete
  3. Oh I had been lucky to see this on the big screen - it's my fav Bergman, mostly because it's not as depressing as others :) The dream sequence in this movie is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. Is this really his most light hearted piece of work? Oh boy..

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this one but I should watch it soon. I can recommend Through A Glass Darkly if you haven't seen it already. It's very atmospheric and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even heard of that one, I'll throw it in my queue. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Glad you liked it overall. This one always sucks me in from the beginning. Of course, most Bergman films do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why he's such a celebrated filmmaker. He's on my Blind Spot list again twice next year, and my December Blind Spot is one of his too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum