Review: Ex Machina

Perhaps you should change your approach?

Caleb (Domhnall Gleeson) is a coder for an Internet search engine called BlueBook. He wins a contest to go meet BlueBook's creator, Nathan (Oscar Isaacs) and participate in a revolutionary experiment. After signing the mother of all NDA's, Caleb is off to see said experiment: Ava (Alicia Vikander) an AI that Nathan has created. He wants Caleb to test her to see if he can really separate man from machine. However Ava clues him in on Nathan not being all that he seems.

This film was fascinating. Writer/Director Alex Garland definitely turns out solid work, so I had high expectations. At this rate, Gleeson could have a career that rivals his father's if he keeps being a part of films like this.  Isaacs was especially great too. I can now forgive him for boring me to tears during Inside Lewelyn Davis. (okay, maybe that wasn't his fault) Vikander was intriguing as well, though it's hard to grade her on a performance level because she was playing an emotionless robot. 

It has a slower pace, but it asks the right questions and the suspense level is high. This keeps the film from dragging. There's plenty of interesting moments (even an unexpected dance number) but the back end of the film is really what is impressive. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "What happens if I do not pass your test?" - Ava (Alicia Vikander)

Comments

  1. This sounds like a fantastic movie, cannot wait to see this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to see this one. When I first heard of it, I felt like it looked cheap, but the more I see the more fascinated I am by the prospect, and your review has me more intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! It doesn't feel cheap it all, it's insanely interesting.

      Delete
  3. I was disappointed to miss this when it released in the UK earlier this year. Heard good things about it, plus it has Alicia Vikander in it who is just incredibly beautiful and talented of course.

    I did really, really like Inside Lewelyn Davis, why the dislike for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought it was SO boring and I didn't care about Davis at all. Isaacs has a beautiful voice though, but that movie was a huge disappointment for me.

      Delete
    2. Saw the film yesterday, just incredible. That ending, like Celab, I'd been tricked. I loved it.

      Delete
  4. This sounds right up my alley. I love slow paced, thought-provoking Sci Fi/suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!! I really needed someone to give me a yay or nay on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
    2. I did! We really liked it. In fact, we're discussing it right now - join us if you like:
      http://assholeswatchingmovies.com/2015/05/05/ex-machina-the-spoiler-filled-discussion/

      Delete
  6. Damn, you always see the good shit! Very excited for this one, as the preview was pretty intense. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I try, but most of the time the good indies have crap show times here. I hope you like this, I think you definitely will.

      Delete
  7. good to hear this was good, and i am so mad i missed the screening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really excited to see this one! Great review! I'm elated to see sci-fi making little victories like this one...it's such a hard genre to do right. Last year's Under the Skin really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Sci fi is a tough genre for everyone, but I love that films like this are succeeding.

      Delete
  9. Argh, I so wanted to see this one and missed it along with It Follows....hopefully it comes on VOD soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I loved it as well. It's visually stunning, and the performances were great all around. Can't wait to see what Alex Garland does next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you liked this one! Ex Machina is an engaging, creepy, entertaining and bold sci-fi thriller. I totally loved everyone in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, Definitely my favorite new film of the year so far.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum