Review: A Quiet Place

Shhhhh

A family of five, Lee, (John Krasinski) Evelyn (Emily Blunt) and their three children Regan, Marcus, and Beau (Millicent Simmonds, Cade Jupe, and Noah Woodward) live on a farm in complete silence. The world is now inhabited by creatures that hunt by sound. They have a bit of an advantage. Their daughter Regan is deaf meaning the entire family already knows sign language but day to day life is still a struggle. Especially now that Evelyn is pregnant. 

After seeing the first teaser trailer, I knew immediately that I wanted to see this and that I wanted to know as little as possible going in. I honestly would not have even chose to watch the second trailer released if it hadn't been attached to some movies I'd seen. That paid off, not because the movie itself is so unpredictable, but it helps put you in the atmosphere.

Calling this movie tense is an understatement. It's almost completely silent. There's maybe 10-15 lines of spoken dialogue in this entire film. It makes you constantly nervous about noise. I saw this in an empty theater and I flinched when I heard the heater kick in. What elevates this are the characters. It's so easy for characters in horror movies to make dumb choices and these people, while not perfect don't fall victim to awful decisions. (Well, aside from getting pregnant in the first place, I suppose)

It's not free of tropes, but the film does everything so well that it earns the right to use them. Simmonds and Jupe don't have any of the typical annoying kid characteristics and I really cared about them. Krasinski and Blunt obviously have wonderful chemistry together, and this directorial effort from him is far better than his previous film, The Hollars. He really captured the mood and brought out the best in his actors.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: 

Comments

  1. It's good to know that a film like this is doing well and that it's making money. I'm not sure if I'll see it in the theaters as there's other films coming that I want to see but I hope to see it when I find the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had a great opening weekend, which I'm happy for. It's nice when that happens to a good film.

      Delete
  2. I wasn’t sure if this movie would be great or horrible...could have gone either way. Glad to hear it is good although it looks scary to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued by this mainly because of the buzz it's been getting. I hope to get to watch this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I would have to see this - it was opening night at SXSW. But I panicked about it being a horror film - I just don't do well with those. Luckily we were caught up in the Westworld exhibit all day long, and literally had to run all the way to the theatre, making it in just by the skin of our teeth. Only as I sat down did I consider the fact that I hadn't properly been panicking all day for this.
    And it was difficult for me, but also rewarding, because the story was solid, and the acting as well. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it didn't scare you *too* much. Seeing this at a festival would've been so much fun.

      Delete
  5. Nice review, Brittani. Glad you liked it, and that you had a good theater experience with it at that (no chance for needless distractions in an empty theater!). Definitely one of my favorites of the year so far. Thought it was quite effective throughout. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would've been interesting to see this in a packed theater, my luck someone would've been talking. lol

      Delete
  6. I liked the performances and the whole thing with making the sound into a scary thing but nope, that script...Condoms, John. Condoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? lol. That was my only issue with it, really. A few lines of dialogue couldve fixed that.

      Delete
  7. GOD this movie was so tense. I was afraid to take a sip of my Icee most of the time but I was SO THIRSTY. The bathtub scene and the grain silo were just the worst - I was squirming all over. If I hadn't been in a theater I probably would have had to stand up lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, the birth scene. Having actually given birth that entire scene made me cringe. How do you keep quiet? You don't lol

      Delete
  8. Nice review! I truly liked this one. For someone who wasn't a big horror movie fan, John did great with the actors and the tension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did an excellent job. I'm glad this film is doing so well.

      Delete
  9. Great review! I also enjoyed this one a lot, so much more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum